Home Energy Management Systems
A home energy management system can provide the automatic interface the consumer needs to manage their consumption of electricity. The typical characteristics of such systems are as follows:
- The energy management system receives current and forecast information on electricity pricing.
- It can manage the settings of the smart appliances to manage their on-off times and record where the energy is being used.
- The consumer can override all previously programmed selections or instructions from the Smart Grid, while ensuring the appliance‘s safety functions remain active.
- The consumer can develop their own energy usage profile and use the data according to how it best benefits them.
- It incorporates features to target renewable energy by allowing for the shifting of energy usage to an optimal time for renewable energy generation, e.g. when the wind is blowing.
Additional information on this topic can be found at: