Industrial Best Practice Initiative
The Industrial Best Practice Initiative promoted the use of innovative energy-efficient methods and technologies in Irish industry. SEAI provided grant-aid assistance to companies implementing projects as part of this initiative. Case studies on selected projects have been prepared (see below) and will be used to disseminate information about best practice with a view to invoking interest by companies within the LIEN to assess feasibility within their own operations activities.
Key areas identified as gaps in industrial energy efficiency in Ireland are:
- Core process energy demand is often high in processes and utility systems
- Process equipment is often not optimised
- Utility systems are often not designed and operated to best practice
- A number of new work methods and approaches to energy efficiency used internationally can be adopted by Irish industries and consultants
The Industrial Best Practice Initiative aims to demonstrate best practice that addresses these gaps.
Its overall objectives are:
- To increase awareness in Irish industry of best available technology and energy-efficient solutions for process equipment and utility systems
- To raise awareness of how analysing the core process energy demand can lead to energy savings
- To increase awareness of how new methods and ‘ways of working’ can be applied to identify and implement energy savings
- To promote successful demonstration projects within industry
- To reduce energy-related CO2 emissions by implementing significant energy savings
Industrial Best Practice Case Studies are available for download: